Saturday, October 2, 2010

3 magical years

So on September 29th, Andy and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary.  It was fantastic!  But first, let me explain a little bit about how we met and fell in love...

It all started back in the summer of 2004.  Andy had just graduated from college, started his engineering career at Raytheon, and bought his first love - a shiny black Subaru STI.  Joy had just sold most of her possessions in a yard sale, packed her Jetta full of whatever was left, and driven cross-country with a friend to move from Virginia to Colorado.  We first met in November of that year at Grace Chapel.  Andy wondered who that attractive redhead was sitting next to his brother at church.  Joy wondered who that tall, good-looking guy was who just introduced himself and gave her a tour of the place.  The holidays came and went before Joy and her friend Megan showed up at church again in January.  From that point on, Andy knew he was going to get to know them.  Andy became Joy's first real friend in Colorado.  They hung out all the time whether it be during ultimate frisbee games, camping trips with the church group, or just chill evenings at The Bluffs where Joy and Megan shared an apartment and were always welcoming friends. 





It took several months of friendship before the two started dating, however once they did all their friends said, "It's about time!"

Joy was thrilled to meet Andy's large family and be included on their annual Lake Tahoe vacation the July of 2005.  It was obvious there was something special there in Joy and Andy's relationship and the family was thrilled.

Andy asked Joy out by saying, "You know you're going to marry me someday, Joy, so you might as well date me first" and boy was he right!  A year and a half later, in March of 2007, Andy planned a romantic day in Williamsburg, VA (where Joy went to college and where Joy's dad proposed to her mom) after a business trip and mini visit with Joy's family.  We walked along "DOG" (Duke of Gloucester) Street, taking pictures of Colonialville until they came to the infamous spot where Joy's dad had proposed to her mom - Bruton Parish Church.

Andy popped THE question outside the back corner of the church (bottom right of the above photo) where we had some privacy from tourists, Joy cried, and their love blossomed as they began seriously planning for their future together.

Six months, and many wedding magazines later, we enjoyed a beautiful wedding ceremony in Golden, CO on September 29th, 2007.





Looking back on that day, I can still smell the sweet fragrance of roses and perfume in the air.  I can feel the excitement bubbling within like I felt as I awoke that morning at 7am and bounced on the beds of my bridesmaids to wake them with my joy.  I remember practicing the "Thriller" dance on the hotel patio with Tabitha and Megan after breakfast, trying to stay calm as the girls fixed my make-up and hair, then finally slipping into my gorgeous white, satin gown and feeling as happy and beautiful as a queen.  It was so special seeing my love waiting for me at the end of the church aisle, tears brimming in my eyes as I willed myself not to cry with my happiness and ruin all the nice wedding photos.  I remember the relief when we kissed for the first time as man and wife and proudly exited the church amidst the applause from our dearest family and friends.  The whole affair was magical.  The reception was fun and flew by so quickly I was amazed when the Hawaiian tunes began and we danced our last time before Andy whisked me away to our elaborate honeymoon suite.  The flowers, the candlelight, the bright, smiling faces on the people we loved.  Everything about our wedding was special and beautiful and I'm so thankful that I was the lucky one to marry the man who stands beside me today in preparations for our first child.

No comments:

Post a Comment